Privacy and Cookies Policy
We, Formosa International Hotels Limited, FIH Management Limited, together with our affiliates and subsidiaries that form the Silks Hotel Group (collectively, the “Group”) are committed to protecting your Personal Information and your privacy. This Policy explains how and why we gather, store, share and use your Personal Information, as well as sets out the options you have as to when and how you choose to share your Personal Information.
“Personal Information” is information or data, recorded in any format that identifies you personally either by itself or together with other information that is made available to us.
This Policy does not apply to the practices of businesses or web sites we do not own or control, nor does it apply to the people we do not employ or manage.
Our site may contain links to other web sites that are operated by third party companies or individuals with different privacy practices. You should exercise caution when you leave our site and review the privacy statements of other web sites. We have no control over the Personal Information you may submit to these third parties.
This Policy forms part of the terms and conditions governing your use of our services. By using our Web site, central reservation service, staying at any of our hotels, use of any of our products and/or services, or by participating in one of our programs, you are agreeing to this Policy.
The Personal Information We Collect
When we collect your Personal Information, we will give timely and appropriate notice describing what Personal Information we are collecting, how we will use it, and the types of third parties with whom we will share it.
We will collect and process some or all of the following personal data about you:
- Information about you such as your name, date of birth, nationality, contact details including email address and telephone number, travel document, photographs and other images.
- Payment details used to pay for rooms and our other products and services, such as credit or debit card numbers and expiry dates, account information and billing information.
- Travel information such as your travel itinerary, hotel selection, room and other service preferences, special needs and interests, diet preferences and other special meal arrangements, choice of tours, car rentals and other add-ons to your travel package, for example, when you book a reservation through our central reservation service, stay at any of our Group hotels, or when you modify your personal profile.
- Information about your use of our products and services such as historical travel arrangements, feedback about your experiences and preferences, and images captured via CCTV in the public areas of our hotels.
- Our interactions with you – We will keep records of any interactions and correspondences between us such as calls made through our call centres, communications you have with our staff or representatives and any interactions with us or posts that refer to us on social media, as well as your responses to market surveys and contests conducted by us or on our behalf.
- Details of your visits to our Web site, your use of, and information posted publicly on social media platforms and other public sources, use of our mobile applications and other data collected through cookies and other tracking technology including information that you view. We may collect Personal Information about you from other companies that have the right to share that information with us.
- Employment information – If you are employed by one of our corporate or government clients, or travelling or obtaining products or services in relation to one of our corporate or government clients, we will collect certain information about your employment or relationship with such clients including the name of your employer, your professional title and your work contact information.
We will only collect Personal Information which is relevant and necessary for specific identified purposes (please refer to the section Use of your Personal Information), and we will not use it for any other purposes without obtaining your consent.
You are not required to provide any Personal Information to us. However, if you elect not to supply the data to us, we may not be able to deliver the products and services you desire.
We may enter into strategic relationships with companies outside of the Group (our "Strategic Partners") who offer products and services that may be of interest to you such as airlines, hotel partners, travel operators and travel agents. If you participate in these programs, our Strategic Partner may send us Personal Information about you as part of our strategic relationship.
If you provide us with Personal Information about others, or if others give us your information, we will only use that information for the specific reason for which it was provided to us. In the case of the former, you should tell those individuals and let them know where they can find a copy of this Policy.
We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of 13 or minors under the age prescribed by the applicable laws. If you believe your child has provided Personal Information to us, please contact us so that we can identify and delete your child's Personal Information.
Use of your Personal Information.
We will give you choices about the ways we use and share your Personal Information and we will respect the choices you make.
We use your Personal Information to:
- Provide the information, programs, products and service you request
- Personalize and tailor your experience when you stay at a Group hotel
- Support the functionality and to personalize the layout and content of our Web site to match your needs, interests and preferences
- Operate and facilitate your participation in our Strategic Partner programs
- Send you promotional messages and special offers based on your privacy preferences
- Prevent security and fraud, to comply with our legal obligations and for administrative purposes
- Better understand our guests, to analyse guest preferences and market trends
- Better market, promote, manage, provide and improve our programs, products and services and Web site.
Choices you have about the use of your Personal Information for marketing purposes
We may communicate marketing and promotions to you by post, telephone or online (including by email or through your mobile device or via online banner advertisements). As appropriate and where required, we will ask you for your consent to send you such materials, or you may choose not to receive any marketing communications from us, at the time we collect your Personal Information. We will also provide an option to unsubscribe or opt out of further communications on any direct marketing communications sent to you.
We will update your privacy preferences within 30 days from receipt of the request.
If you choose not to receive any promotional communications from us, we will not send you promotional messages and will not share your Personal Information with other companies for marketing purposes. We may still contact you for customer research or administrative purposes, such as confirming a reservation or transaction you've made, informing you of your account status or inviting you to update your online profile. If you no longer wish to receive promotional communications from our other Group companies and their licensees or third parties, you may need to contact them directly.
If you no longer wish to receive administrative communications from us, you will need to contact us to close your accounts with us.
Sharing of your Personal Information
We may share your Personal Information in the following ways:
- We share your Personal Information among our Group hotels for use in accordance with this Policy.
- We share your Personal Information with our other Group companies and their licensees, third parties carefully selected by the Group, Strategic Partners and/or service providers to provide the information, products and services that you have requested, to send you promotions and special offers they believe will be of interest to you or to personalize your experience.
- We share your Personal Information with companies that perform services on our behalf, such as companies providing application management, marketing support, and technical infrastructure support.
Our service providers, Strategic Partners, and Group hotels are bound by contract to use the Personal Information we share with them only for the limited purposes for which we provide it to them and to take reasonable measures to protect the confidentiality, integrity and security of your Personal Information. They may not use or share your Personal Information in a manner that would be inconsistent with our promises to you, and they must comply with all applicable privacy and data protection laws.
We may transfer your Personal Information to another entity that has acquired the stock or substantially all of the assets of any of the Group companies, a member of the Silks Hotel Group, or one of its or their operating divisions, for example, as the result of a sale, merger, or reorganization, insolvency, dissolution or liquidation. If such a transfer occurs, the acquiring entity's use of your Personal Information will still be subject to this Policy.
There are other limited circumstances in which we may share or transfer your Personal Information to unrelated third parties, including for example, when we believe disclosure is appropriate to comply with a law, regulatory requirement, court order, or a subpoena; to cooperate with law enforcement or other governmental investigations; to prevent or investigate a possible crime, such as fraud or identity theft; to protect legal rights, property or safety of you, the Group, our Group hotels, our employees, agents, other guests, or the public in general.
Special Notification for California residents. Individual customers who reside in California and have provided their Personal Information to Group hotels may request information about our disclosures of certain categories of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. Such requests must be submitted to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Within thirty (30) days of receiving such a request, we will provide a list of the categories of Personal Information disclosed to third parties for third-party direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year, along with the names and addresses of these third parties. This request may be made no more than once per calendar year. We reserve our right not to respond to requests submitted other than to address the specified in this paragraph.
Except as described in this Policy, we will not share your Personal Information with third parties without your consent.
Protection of your Personal Information.
We implement appropriate physical, technical and organizational security for the management and transmission of personal data, including appropriate security measures to protect such data from accidental or unlawful destruction or accidental loss, misuse, alteration, unauthorized disclosure or access and all other unlawful forms of processing.
We work to protect the security of your information during transmission by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology, which encrypts information you input and is certified by the Secure Server Certification Authority and malware scanning.
We reveal only the last four digits of your credit card numbers when confirming a reservation or processing on-line purchase transactions. However, we transmit the entire credit card number to the appropriate credit card company for verification. All transactions are processed through third party hotel reservations provider and are not stored or processed on our servers.
Access to your Personal Information
We provide ways for you to access your Personal Information so that you can correct inaccuracies. You may update, delete, or correct your key account information at any time by visiting your online profile or by contacting us. If you have any request regarding obtaining a copy of your Personal Information, transferring your Personal Information to a third party, objection to certain processing of your Personal Information or being subject to profiling and automated decision-making or have additional questions, please contact us. When contacting us, you may be asked to verify your identity. We will respond to your request within 30 days and, in any event, within the time period established under applicable laws. We may limit or deny your request if we are unable to verify your identity, if it involves the disclosure of confidential or sensitive information or is otherwise permitted under applicable law.
Transfer of Personal Information to other Countries
Our Web site currently resides on servers in Tokyo, Japan and our databases are located in Taipei, Taiwan, but we may at times use supplemental facilities located outside of these two locations. Different countries have different data protection laws, some of which provide more protection than others. If and when we transfer your Personal Information from one country to another country, we take appropriate measures to protect your privacy and Personal Information. By using our Web site, participating in our programs, or staying at our Group hotels, you are consenting to the transfer of your Personal Information to any country in the world in accordance with the terms of this Policy.
The nature of our business and our operations requires us to transfer your information, including personally identifiable information to other groups, companies, data centers or service providers that may be located in countries outside of yours. Although the data protection and other laws of these various countries may not be as comprehensive as those in your own country, the Group will take appropriate steps to ensure that your Personal Information is protected and handled as described in this privacy statement.
Web technologies used to passively collect information about you
Most major web sites automatically receive and record information on their server logs from browsers when the web site is accessed. In the case of our Web site, we have third party service providers who do this through use of a variety of methods, including clear GIFs (also known as “web beacons”) and “cookies” (as further explained below), to collect this information.
Types of Cookies
A Cookie is a small text file containing a string of information that a website stores on a visitor’s computer hard disk and that the visitor’s browser provides to the website each time the visitor returns.
When you visit our Web site, information is automatically and directly sent to our third party service providers by your web browser. This information typically includes:
- the IP address of your Internet service provider
- Cookie information
- Unique device user ID
- Browser type and operating system installed on your computer
- Content and pages that you access on our Web site
- The frequency and duration of your visits on our Web site
A list of cookies currently used by third party services provider on our Web site is as below:
|COOKIE NAME||gtag.js, analytics.js, ga.js, and urchin.js|
|COOKIE PROVIDER||Google Analytics|
|COOKIE PURPOSE||The cookie helps us obtain an overall view of visitor habits and help improve visitor’s overall experience on our Web site by collecting anonymous information, including the number of visitors to the website, where visitors have come to the site from and the pages they visited.|
"Session cookies" are used by our third party service providers to assign a randomly-generated unique identification number to your computer each time you visit our Web site. A session cookie expires after you close your browser. Session cookies are used to support the functionality of our Web site - which pages are visited, which links are used, and the length of time of visits to each page.
"Persistent cookies" are also used by our third party service providers. These cookies do not expire when you close your browser, but stay on your computer until they expire or you delete them. Each time you visit our site, the servers of our third party service providers will recognize the cookie on your computer's hard drive. By assigning your computer a persistent, unique identifier, our third party service providers are able to create a database of your previous choices and preferences. In situations where these choices or preferences need to be collected again, they can be provided by us, automatically saving you time and effort. Assigning your computer a persistent, unique identifier also helps us keep a more accurate account of how many people visit our site, how often they return, how their use of our Web site may vary over time, and the effectiveness of our promotional efforts. If you access our Web site through an e-mail we have sent you, or you have created a "user identity" during one of your visits, the information provided by one of our third party service provider cookies may be linked to information in our records that identifies you personally.
Other types of Cookies
- Strictly necessary cookies- these are used either for the carrying out a transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network, or to allow our third party service providers, to provide those services to you.
- Performance cookies- collect information about how visitors use a website, such as which pages are visited most frequently. Our third party service providers use these cookies to tailor our services to you and to help show content which is relevant to you.
- Functionality cookies- allow the website to remember previous choices you have made (eg. user name, region)
- Social media cookies – these are based on social connect functionalities or when you make use of a social media add on button (eg. clicking “LIKE” on a webpage).
- Advertising cookies – help to show advertising that is relevant to you or based on your interests.
Clear GIFs (web beacons)
The pages on our Web site may contain electronic images known as clear GIFs - sometimes also called "single-pixel gifs" or web beacons. These are typically a transparent graphic image that is placed on a web site or embedded in videos or emails and allows the web server to read certain types of information from your browser such as the path of pages visited at a web site, to check whether you have viewed an email message, and among other things, determine the time and date on which you viewed the clear GIF, the IP address on your computer, and the URL of the web page from which the clear GIF was viewed.
We use these web beacons to learn more about the ways visitors use our Web site and to measure the effectiveness of our advertising campaigns. We may link information obtained using any web beacons to other information that identifies you personally.
Our Cookies Policy does not apply to, and we are not responsible for the privacy practices of third party websites which may be linked to our Web site.
This Policy may be supplemented or amended by privacy notices ("Privacy Notices") provided at the time we collect specific Personal Information. We reserve the right, at our discretion, to make changes to this Policy at any time. The level of notice we will provide when we change this Policy will depend on the nature of the change.
We will notify you of any material changes to this Policy by sending you notice by e-mail at the last e-mail address you provided to us and by posting a notice on the home page of our Web site and at the top of the revised Policy for at least 30 days after the new effective date to let you know what has changed. Material changes to this Policy will be effective as of the effective date included in the notice to you or, if no effective date is included, 30 days after we send the notice to you.
Please note that you are responsible for updating your online profile so that your contact information is always up-to-date. Our mailing of the notice to your last e-mail address will constitute effective notice of the changes described in the notice. If you do not provide us with a current e-mail address, it is your responsibility to check our Web site periodically for changes to this Policy.
If we only make minor changes to this Policy, we will replace this Policy with the new Policy and change the "effective" date at the top of this Policy for at least 30 days after the new effective date so that you will know what has changed. Minor changes include, for example, changes to our contact information or the examples contained in a section of this Policy.
By continuing to stay at any Group hotels, participate in our programs, or use of our Web site, products and/or services, following such notice you are agreeing to any changes to this Policy. If you do not agree to any changes in our Policy, you must notify us and cease all further use of our Web site.
How to contact us with questions or concerns about our privacy practices
You may contact us at email@example.com
We will respond within 30 days and, in any event, within the time period established under applicable laws.